sorry for the wordy header, but there is so much goodness in it and it makes my heart all happy and stuff. it started when i bought a bunch of little air plants without thinking ahead about where to put them…oops. well i discovered these little bell cups and now each plant has their very own home.
mix the dye according to the package instructions. i happened to use rit dye because i had it on hand and didn’t feel like buying any new stuff. luckily it worked perfectly! the bell cups have stems on them, so you want to pull those out or carefully break them off. the cups do have holes in the bottom, so i plugged them up with some putty, but you can use something similar or even hold them in the dye. i got putty because i am very lazy. when you set them in the dye you just don’t want them to sink. (the dye will seep through a little so just keep an eye on them.)
first dip the cup about 2/3 for a minute and pull up. this will give you a pale pink. next dip it 1/2 down for a little longer, maybe a few minutes or so, just until it’s slightly darker than the first dip. now you can just set the cups in the dye and let them sit for about 5 minutes, checking on it to make sure it doesn’t get too crazy in there. when they’re ready, pull them out and set on a paper towel to dry. some will have some water inside, so just keep them upright and they will drain.
at this point, they’re already super cute!!!! i actually dyed some of these a teal color for the mobile, but they ended up a little darker than i wanted. now they are sitting on my shelf, looking’ all cute.
so if you want to hang them, here is what ya do. cut 8 pieces of string the same length, knot them together, and section them in 4 groups of 2. now go up 3/4 of an inch and tie another knot in each set. pull the section apart and create another knot with the string from the other group, forming a diamond. repeat this step one more time. (if you are not sure what the hell i’m talking about, check out this tutorial. i didn’t get a chance to show how this step is done, so i apologize from the bottom of my heart.) finally cut the dowel, about 12″ for the main piece and 6-8″ for the second tier. simply tie on the bell cups and you’re done! i used the rocks to balance the weight and the moss to “fluff” up the plants.
hope you get a chance to do these! it’s hanging in our living room and i couldn’t be happier!
leave a comment
April 27, 2015