I am so excited about this little clay DIY project! I’ve been getting kits from We Make Collective for the past few months but have only played around with a few items. Basically, every other month they send you a kit with crafting tools to get you started for a specific craft. I’ve gotten one with stamps, weaving, and most recently an embroidery one. I even contributed to one of their E-Courses for it! You can check that out right here!
Even though I’m a little behind on the clay kit, I’m happy I finally got around to using it. Turns out, I LOVE Fimo clay! It’s one of the better ones I’ve used and it bakes quickly and perfectly. It also comes in a bazillion colors, so making beads and pots are super simple. With all the air plants I’ve been collecting, they definitely needed a little somethin’ special.
M A T E R I A L S
I N S T R U C T I O N S
01. The Fimo clay comes in perfect little squares that are just the right amount for each holder. Take the clay and knead it to get it soft and manageable.
02. Roll into a tube-like shape, about 2 inches long. Take the clay roller and roll the clay long ways, then to the side, back and forth. Make sure it stays the same thickness. I rolled mine to about 6.5″ long and 2.25″ wide. Trim the ends of the clay and and the sides to create a clean rectangle.
03. Fold the ends into a tube shape, pressing gently on the overlapping ends to make them stick. Pierce the sides with a toothpick.
04. Bake the clay according to the instructions on the pack. Let cool completely and lightly sand the clay to get rid of small imperfections.
05. Now you can totally stop and admire your little holders, OR you can paint some details! I like details. Tape off different areas where you don’t want any splatters. Using an old toothbrush, dip into paint and about 6″ away, speckle the crap out of it! Since I was trying to save a buck, I used an old Sonic Care Toothbrush and quite frankly it sucked. It’s short and plastic and not flexible. I would recommend something with a little give!
06. Once the speckles have dried, I used a glossy varnish. This is one of my favorites, which also came in the kit! It goes on like nail polish and took about 3 coats.
07. Attach your leather rope and voila! Get those Air Plants into those fun little holders!